This dish is a showcase of the natural flavours of local juicy clams from Ah Hua Kelong. It is a representation of the lovely essence of the sea, says Alex Phan, executive chef of Restaurant Ember.
3 fresh XL clams
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 red chillis
2 pcs spring onion roots
2 pcs banana shallots, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
rock sugar to taste
• Soak clams in iced water for an hour.
• Steam for 5 minutes on a large stainless steel tray.
• Pick out the clams and strain its juices into a pot. Set the clams aside.
• Add the rest of the ingredients into the clam juice.
• Simmer all ingredients in a pot on low heat for 10 minutes. Strain the sauce through a sieve.
• Present clams in their shells and pour the sauce over each clam to serve.